A little bit of writing, a little bit of knitting...

Friday, April 13, 2007

Coolest. Baby Gift. Ever.

Okay, so perhaps it's not the coolest baby gift for *every* baby. But for a baby who also owns a Slayer onesie, I would have to say that this is the most brilliant baby bib ever.


It all started on Monday, when I was at the store and Barb showed me the cutest picture of a boys' sweater with a skull on it. Colorwork makes my head hurt, but I was intrigued enough to check out the pattern -- and that's when I discovered that it was just overstitching. Now *that* I could do (or at least I could try). And I knew it would be just the thing for little Garrett. It might go nicely with his Motorhead onesie. So when I got home on Monday night, I got to work. On Wednesday, while I was watching Paul's hockey game, I got started on the stitching (much to the fascination and amusement of the little girl who climbed up to the top of the bleachers, sat down next to me, and said, "Hi. What'cha makin'?").

Since the recipient's dad is a fellow film critic, I brought the mostly finished project along to our screening yesterday. Mark got a good laugh out of it -- because it's both totally me and totally appropriate for the baby in question -- and poor Clay (who's a regular reader and thus knew right away that it was a bib -- Hi Clay!) was shocked and perhaps a bit appalled. "You're giving that to a *baby*?" he asked.

Yes, my dear Clay -- but not just *any* baby. And besides, it's a pretty blue and green, and that makes it all okay, don't you think?

Now all it needs is a button. Despite my ever-growing button box. I'm finding the button thing to be a challenge. Sounds like I may have to take a trip out to JoAnn's this afternoon before we stop in to visit the happy (and somewhat exhausted) parents tonight.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's perfect! I don't know what baby wouldn't want one - it's how you let the other babies know that you are Hard Core.

7:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! My husband requested a black sweater for our baby-on-the-way. I figured black would be too harsh so I'm planning on adding white skull and cross-bones to the front, just as soon as I get to the yarn store for some black and white yarn. Glad to see I'm not the only one making skulls for babies!

7:40 AM

 
Blogger the secret knitter said...

Pretty neat and sure to horrify other parents in some public setting. :)

By the way, I've nominated you for a thinking blogger award.

http://www.thethinkingblog.com/2007/02/thinking-blogger-awards_11.html

Congratulations. If the whole link doesn't show up--it isn't in the comment preview--check my site.

10:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



List Sites in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring

This site in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
is owned by Pens and Needles.

[ Previous | Next | Random Site | List Sites | Join ]