A little bit of writing, a little bit of knitting...

Friday, August 25, 2006

Where Are We Going Now?

In case you haven't noticed, we don't tend to stick around the house all that much. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that when we met (and until we'd been married for eight months) we actually lived 400 miles apart. Maybe that's why it just doesn't feel right to stay in one place for long. Then again, sometimes it just gets downright confusing. I remember when, eight months after we got married, we packed up a U-Haul in Toronto, finished loading it up in Michigan, and unpacked it in Massachusetts. Three weeks later, Paul's company sent us to the Netherlands -- for a month. I remember that last night in Delft, trying to figure out where the heck it was that we were flying back to.

Even this summer, which was a little out of the ordinary, thanks to my falling in a big hole, we didn't spend a ton of time sitting around the house alone. We just had everyone come to us instead.

So last weekend, I took off to the tent sale (yea!). This weekend, we'll actually be home. Next weekend, we'll head to the cottage for Labor Day. Then we'll get back on Monday, do some laundry and things, and catch a plane on Wednesday, headed for Malaysia. Paul was just there in June, and I told him that he wasn't allowed to go again without bringing me along. He's got more work stuff to do out there, so I'm tagging along. He'll be working for a week or so, and then we're going to take a few days off to do some sight-seeing and lounge on a beach. In early October, we'll be celebrating our five-year anniversary, and we were planning on going on a cruise. But instead we'll be spending some time on some Malaysian island. Not too shabby.

Of course, that leaves me with a few big questions:

1) Are there yarn stores in Malaysia? I've found only one so far, and I have no idea where it is. I've also looked up some Malaysian yellow pages, but alas, my Malay is not too good, so I had no idea what they said. There's got to be some kind of yarn out there, wouldn't you think? I mean, Malaysia's big in silk. I've got to be able to get some silk yarn for a good price...

2) What projects will I need to bring with me for two whole weeks away? I'm going to need a whole extra suitcase, just for my knitting.

3) How the heck am I going to fly for 24 hours if I'm not even allowed to bring toothpaste on the plane? ICK!

It just hit me yesterday that I've only got a week of work to go before we leave. Just one week. So I have a feeling that I won't be getting in a lot of knitting time next week -- or seeing my husband, for that matter. It looks like I'll be squeezing in as many screenings as I can. Right now, it's looking like I'll be going to screenings on Tuesday morning and night, Wednesday night, and Thursday night -- more, if I can fit them in. I just found out that there's one the morning before we leave, too. And who knows...maybe there will be an in-flight movie of something we missed on the site, and I can review that, too.

I think by the time we reach that Malaysian island, I'll need a little break, though. This week was another hectic one. On top of the usual stuff, I also did the radio show again. This time, however, it was a little different. One of the two guys was on vacation, so not only did I have to do two reviews (The Illusionist and, of course, Snakes on a Plane, but I also had to do the intro stuff, the ending stuff, and the usual banter. And I had to help produce the thing. I got to wear the headset and say things like, "I think we need to cut back on the music a touch." Clay, the one who was on vacation, has an incredible ear for things like that, so I'm a little nervous that he's going to come after me for messing up his show. So maybe it's best that I'm heading to Malaysia to hide out for a couple of weeks. But, other than a couple of little things that bugged me about it after we'd recorded (and the fact that I am, and always will be, my very worst critic), I think it went relatively well, considering I'm still a rookie.

So anyway, in knitting news, I spent large parts of this week winding my giant two-dollar hanks into balls. I started with the Cotton Tots, which are now two balls, each roughly the size of my head. I decided, after doing that, that yarn balls the size of your head aren't all that portable. So I decided to do the tweed in smaller balls. So I set up my swift and winder again last night and ended up with five balls, which will be a little more portable. I can't wait to make something out of that -- it'll make a gorgeous fall sweater.

Unfortunately, I can't post pictures of what I'm working on right now -- since, as Mom always said, "Christmas is coming -- don't ask questions." And though Mom knows the pattern I'm working on, and which yarn I'm using (since she picked it all out herself), I'd like to leave a little bit of a surprise in there.

I was going to post a picture of my brother-in-law's scarf -- since there's no way he's reading my blog. But Blogger isn't letting me, for some reason. So I guess it'll have to wait until my next post. Can you handle the suspense?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know... word will get out to him that you're writting about his present on your blog and he'll 'sneak a peek'. But... we're anxious to see it so... go for it!!

As for your Mom... wouldn't she like a step by step picture journal of the progress of her sweater? Then we could see it...

3:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd take cotton to Malaysia to knit with as it's likely to be warm there at this time of the year. Hope you have an amazing time away.

2:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



List Sites in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring

This site in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
is owned by Pens and Needles.

[ Previous | Next | Random Site | List Sites | Join ]