A little bit of writing, a little bit of knitting...

Friday, July 28, 2006

Happy Happy Birthday to Me!

Okay, so I'll admit that it's a bit of a drag having a broken rib on your birthday. In fact, thanks to the drugs, I can't even celebrate with a nice glass of wine. But this year, I'm just happy for the out-of-the-ordinary birthday gifts I got this week. For instance, last night I actually slept in an actual bed for the first time in three weeks. I picked up a foam wedge thing at Bed Bath & Beyond last night, and that did the trick. Yea! I also drove once on Wednesday, which was also a huge relief. But the cool thing is where I drove to...

On Wednesday, I drove down to the studio to record my first-ever radio appearance -- which, incidentally, is airing today, on my birthday, thank you very much. Is that a wicked cool birthday gift, or what?

The appearance is on the award-winning public radio show, "It's Movie Time," with two of my favorite people, Drs. John DeSando and Clay Lowe. A month or so ago, they invited me into the studio to sit in on their taping -- and then they invited me back this week to give a review of the new Woody Allen movie, Scoop. Despite the insanity of the last three weeks, I was determined not to let my accident get in the way of such a great opportunity -- so I got up on Wednesday and rearranged my meds so I'd be a little more coherent than usual for the taping. And despite that I am and always will be my greatest critic -- and thus I'm not completely satisfied with my performance -- it actually turned out better than I expected. And, more importantly, I had a great time. During the taping, Clay told me that there's just something about radio -- once you do it, you can't wait to get back in front of the mic. And he's right.

If you're in the Columbus area, you can hear the show today on WCBE (90.5). If not, you can listen online.

In actual knitting news, the summer cardi is just flying off the needles. See?


I think I've got a few inches of the body left -- then the sleeves (which I'm going to make smaller than the pattern suggests) and the button bands.

I got plenty of time to work on it yesterday. Chandra picked me up in the afternoon, and we went to Starbucks to knit and get caught up. Poor Chandra has been working around the clock at her new job, and she was afraid that she'd forgotten how to knit. If you ask me, any job that keeps you from knitting for a couple of months is not a good job. Fortunately, though, knitting is like riding a bike -- and we sat there for ages and worked on the very same sweater (hers is a gift for her mother-in-law). It was wonderful to get out and have a much-needed Frappuccino and some much-needed hanging-out time. Thanks, Chandra. :)

I'm feeling seriously unmotivated to work today. So you know what I think I'm going to do? I think I'm going to give myself a little birthday treat -- and I might just allow myself to do a little lace knitting. Happy birthday to me! :)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday girl. Listened to the review and you were great. I'm totally impressed. Knew you could do it. Still planning on that birthday dinner. SP

1:26 PM

 
Blogger Sourire11 said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

I just listened to your review – you’re an natural! And this is a big compliment because I listen to A LOT of NPR. Really – you did great.

Have fun with your lace!!!!

5:16 PM

 
Blogger Jennifer said...

great job on the review and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! the sweater looks great, too, girlie!

7:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday fellow Mooon child!
Good to hear you are up and about.

7:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday... we'll all have to meet and celebrate!

7:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



List Sites in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring

This site in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
is owned by Pens and Needles.

[ Previous | Next | Random Site | List Sites | Join ]