A little bit of writing, a little bit of knitting...

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Breaking the Silence

I apologize for the extended silence. Believe it or not, it's been four whole days since I picked up a pair of needles. But I have a good reason. Really.

So we had a wonderful vacation, for the most part. Well, it didn't start out all that great, since I tried on my Picovoli before I left and discovered that it was a little too tight in the armpit region. So Picovoli is taking a little vacation for a while until I decide what to do with it.

Other than that, though, it was wonderful. The weather was perfect -- warm and sunny, with just a little bit of rain (but only at night). We had a great time with my niece and nephew and sister-in-law, who were there for a day or so, and with Mom and Dad (who got up on skis, the crazy old coot -- pictures to come), and with Paul's little brother, who came up for last weekend. I did tons of reading, played all kinds of games, and knitted like a fiend. I made great progress on the Muppet Wrap (since I only knit that outside, due to shedding), have a baby sweater that just needs sleeves, and started some new lace (pictures of that to come, too).

But then came Saturday. On Saturday, I had a little accident. There's a whole long story that isn't all that interesting (though, if anyone asks, I was *bungee jumping*), but I took an unexpected fall into the cottage's crawl space -- a four-foot drop, landing on my side on a cement block or two. It was terrifying, and I still try not to think about it. While Paul and Dad helped me out of the hole, the neighbors got online and found directions to the nearest hospital -- about a half hour away. Fortunately, it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. I have some hideous bruises, a giant scrape on my leg, and a broken rib. (I also broke a nail.) And I'm on drugs so potent that they required a background check.

So that's where I've been. On the couch -- or, more likely, crashed out in the recliner, which Paul set up for me in the bedroom. Mom and Dad showed up yesterday to keep me from killing myself from boredom (and to make sure I don't do something stupid, like try to pick something up off the floor -- though I've found that my toes are pretty good for that). I went to the doctor today, and apparently everything's as normal as can be expected. They tell me it could take 4-6 weeks to heal, but I have every intention of getting out of the house and getting back to screenings next week. And I think I'm going to gradually start working on dishcloths again -- since I can screw them up without really caring too much.

But now Mom tells me that my lunch is ready. And then I think I'll take another nap...

5 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

Wow... that really stinks.

Hope you feel better soon!

12:27 PM

 
Blogger Jennifer said...

kristin, that's crazy!!
i'm so sorry u hurt urself so badly, but am so glad it wasn't worse.
hope u get well REALLY SOON!!!
xo

4:32 PM

 
Blogger Sourire11 said...

That's awful!!!! What a scary situation...and you must be really in pain if you can't knit!

I hope you feel better soon.

11:06 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't trust you on vacation can we? And, we were worried about your Dad. Let me know if you need anything. Can you make it to the nearest coffe shop?

4:15 PM

 
Blogger auntgerry said...

Sorry to hear of your accident. I have been out of town and have not read your blog. I also was surprised to learn that I won a book on the Night and Weekend site. Thank you that. It is a fun book and the author has a weird sense of humour in his storey telling.
Get to feeling better soon and come back to Thursday knitting.

9:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



List Sites in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring

This site in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
is owned by Pens and Needles.

[ Previous | Next | Random Site | List Sites | Join ]