A little bit of writing, a little bit of knitting...

Monday, June 12, 2006

If It's Not One Thing...

...it's another. I finally got my digital camera (along with my husband, of course) back yesterday, and now I can't get Photoshop to load my pictures. So I'm afraid that the sweater pictures will just have to wait...

On Saturday, the Sock Princess came over for a dyeing extravaganza. It was a well-deserved break from the week's non-stop work. We had a lot of fun, we ate some delicious pizza, and we even managed to dye some yarn, too.



On the top, you can see my big project of the day. I bought those four hanks ages ago, with the intent of dyeing them all for a sweater. The problem, however, was that I was having a hard time committing to colors. Finally, I decided to go with Turquoise and Marine Violet. I did half of two hanks at a time, using the dip method -- the first half of dyelot 1, followed by the first half of dyelot 2, followed by the second half of dyelot 1, followed by the second half of dyelot 2. If I'd had my camera, I would have taken pictures -- it was all very scientific of me. It was also seriously time-consuming. But I love how it turned out. I know the dyelots won't be exactly the same (though they should be pretty darn close), so I marked the separate lots, and I'll do the switch-after-every-two-rows trick for blending them in.

The bottom four hanks are SP's -- which she'll use, as always, for socks. I love them both. The pair on the right is Lemon Yellow, Bright Green, and Hot Pink. The pair on the left is two different shades of purples. I love how the colors separated a bit, leaving bits of blues and pinks.

On the right is a hank that I redyed. I'd dyed it orange before -- to go with a yellow-orange hank that I'd done earlier -- but it just didn't come out orange enough. But now...I'd say it's plenty orange.

And, finally, on the left is a hank of painted lace weight yarn, in Bright Green and Hot Pink. I call the colorway 1988. As soon as my Treasury comes in, I'll be looking for a lace pattern funky enough to match.

Yesterday, I stopped by the LYS to hang out for a bit before heading to the airport to pick up Paul. The poor guy ended up being stranded in Hong Kong for five extra hours -- which meant that he didn't get to Toronto on Saturday night until after 1:30. He got to sleep at his parents' place for about five hours before catching the flight home. Yet, for some reason, he looks totally well-rested -- while I look like the one who's jet-lagged. He got up for work this morning without a problem. I, on the other hand, practically had to be held at gun-point before I could get out of bed. I then attempted to make myself coffee, only to discover a few minutes later that I'd brewed an entire cup of hot water. It helps if you remember to add the coffee to the coffee maker.

Paul really needs to stop all this world-traveling stuff. Picking him up from the airport is obviously too exhausting for me to handle.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to brag but as usual we did a great job. I'll never be hit by a car wearing my bright colored socks. You'll be able to see me coming for a mile. Aren't we clever and wasn't it fun?

7:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We really need to make this a 'group' event. You just can't 'tease' us with these beautiful yarns and not share your fun...

I think the hank of orange is really wonderful. It was the right decision to re-dye it. Can't wait to see them.

Ever thought of 'selling' your hand dyed yarns????

8:57 PM

 
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Ok i love.... LOVE the 1988 color. can't wait to see what lace you come up with for it!

3:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



List Sites in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring

This site in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
is owned by Pens and Needles.

[ Previous | Next | Random Site | List Sites | Join ]