A little bit of writing, a little bit of knitting...

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Shawl Countdown: 10 Days



Last night, I had a total shawl emergency. Remember the Dyeing Extravaganza, when I dyed the heck out of this silk -- five times, I think -- until it was all finally red-ish? And then remember how I eventually ran it through a cycle in the washing machine in an attempt to finally rinse it all out? Well...

I prepared to block the shawl last night by soaking it in Eucalan. I came back 15 minutes later, and the whole sink was red. ACK! So I rinsed and rinsed again. Eventually, with Paul standing there watching me panic, I gave up. ("We'll just hope it doesn't rain on the day of the wedding," Paul told me, shrugging.) I rolled it up in a towel and squeezed the water out. And it's a darn good thing I used an old towel -- because it's just a little bit pink now.

With Paul's help, I got it pinned down last night. It's a good thing I ran out for more pins -- because I used all but two of everything I had. Despite the extra repeat, it's still not as big as the pattern suggests -- but I expected that (hence, the extra repeat). It is, however, 64x34 -- not a bad size, really. And the points aren't as pointy as Jeanne's. They're more scallop-y, really. But I'm cool with that.

I've already gone downstairs to check on it three times today. I can't wait to unpin it -- but I think that'll have to wait until tomorrow. I don't think it's going to be quite dry enough tonight.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The shawl is beautiful. I'm very proud of you.

6:12 PM

 
Blogger Ashley said...

Pretty pretty pretty. I should go finish mine too! To bad I'm only on the 5th repeat. haha.

10:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The shawl is really pretty! Everyone will envy you at the wedding. You have inspired me to make a lace shawl.
It was fun seeing you yesterday.
... signed 'The Yarnaholic'

8:15 AM

 
Blogger Sourire11 said...

OH MY GOD IT'S FABULOUS!!!!

I'm sorry to hear about the dye issues... but oh my... it is so pretty! I really like how it blocked out - the scallop-y looks awesome.

and with 10 days to spare. Clearly, you rule.

11:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! It came out so beautiful! I still haven't picked mine up again. I only got the first few rows done. I might try A different yarn.

1:44 PM

 
Blogger kdk said...

Suzanne,
They're blocking wires (or, actually, they're wires I bought at Lowe's, though I think they were a little too big -- I'll probably break down and buy some real ones eventually). You can get them at KnitPicks. They truly are wonderful -- just slide them through, and you don't have to worry about uneven pinning.

7:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



List Sites in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring

This site in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
is owned by Pens and Needles.

[ Previous | Next | Random Site | List Sites | Join ]