Shawl Countdown: 10 Days
Last night, I had a total shawl emergency. Remember the Dyeing Extravaganza, when I dyed the heck out of this silk -- five times, I think -- until it was all finally red-ish? And then remember how I eventually ran it through a cycle in the washing machine in an attempt to finally rinse it all out? Well...
I prepared to block the shawl last night by soaking it in Eucalan. I came back 15 minutes later, and the whole sink was red. ACK! So I rinsed and rinsed again. Eventually, with Paul standing there watching me panic, I gave up. ("We'll just hope it doesn't rain on the day of the wedding," Paul told me, shrugging.) I rolled it up in a towel and squeezed the water out. And it's a darn good thing I used an old towel -- because it's just a little bit pink now.
With Paul's help, I got it pinned down last night. It's a good thing I ran out for more pins -- because I used all but two of everything I had. Despite the extra repeat, it's still not as big as the pattern suggests -- but I expected that (hence, the extra repeat). It is, however, 64x34 -- not a bad size, really. And the points aren't as pointy as Jeanne's. They're more scallop-y, really. But I'm cool with that.
I've already gone downstairs to check on it three times today. I can't wait to unpin it -- but I think that'll have to wait until tomorrow. I don't think it's going to be quite dry enough tonight.