A little bit of writing, a little bit of knitting...

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Always Be Prepared

That's my motto -- especially when it comes to packing. Tonight, as we were getting ready to start packing our bags, Paul's intended weekend clothing took up a small corner of our bed. My clothes took up the rest of the bed.

"I just can't narrow anything down," I told him.

"Well, how many shirts do you need?" he asked. I started counting the shirts stacked on the bed. "No, need. Tomorrow...you can just wear one outfit..."

"Are you kidding? I'm not wearing the same grubby car clothes all day -- we're going out with your brother at night!"

"So then you'll need two changes of clothes for Saturday..."

"Well, we don't actually know what we're doing on Saturday afternoon, so I need options. And I still don't know what I'm going to feel like wearing on Saturday night, so I need options for that, too," I explained. He just shrugged and got out the extra suitcase.

And, as it turns out, for a three-day weekend, I need eleven shirts, two sweaters, four tanks, a poncho, a hoodie, and a capelet. Seems reasonable to me.

I also need three bags for my knitting. One doesn't count, though, since it's all FOs -- gifts, even. The other one is my main bag, which includes all of my patterns and magazines and enough yarn for three dishcloths and the beginning of a sweater. I also have my secondary bag, which includes a book of baby patterns (just in case I feel the urge to start more baby gifts), the rest of the sweater yarn, a little extra dishcloth yarn, and the silk for the shawl.

For a grand total of sixteen hours in the car this weekend, I think that'll keep me occupied. That, and all the yarn I pick up at the SUPER YARN-A-RAMA tomorrow. (Wheeeee!)

Really, if I need to (for instance, if I'll be forced to carry all of my belongings in my backpack while running through train stations where all the signs are in a language that's not English), I can pack light. But I figure if I pack light, I won't be using my SUV to its full potential, and I wouldn't want my poor car to feel under-utilized.

I've just gotten the call that it's time to turn in. Have a great weekend -- and I'll be back on Monday...with plenty of pictures.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sourire11 said...

I pack exactly the same way you do – If I have the space I will fill it. If I don’t I can pack light – somehow I did 5 weeks in Europe with nothing but a little backpack… but when I go on a quick weekend trip with friends I need a suitcase, a toiletries bag, a knitting bags, at least 3 pairs of shoes, etc. etc. Funny how that works. And to me it seems completely rational to bring all of that knitting stuff – that long of a car ride who knows what you’ll feel like knitting!

Have a great trip and be save driving!

11:12 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



List Sites in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring

This site in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
is owned by Pens and Needles.

[ Previous | Next | Random Site | List Sites | Join ]