A little bit of writing, a little bit of knitting...

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

ADD

First of all, thanks for all of your comments on the booties. I hope they'll serve the little guy well.

To answer Emily's question, the yarn was Bernat Camouflage. It's your standard cheap acrylic, though I've gotten a lot of use out of it over the years. A couple of years ago, I knit my nephew a camo hat for Christmas. The next year, I had to make them for all of my cousins' kids. They were such cute hats -- and the yarn pooled in a diamond pattern, which made them even cooler.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I'm suffering from a case of Knitting ADD. I picked up Adamas for a while this weekend -- but not for long. I found myself constantly going back and re-counting everything (because the TV kept distracting me, darnit, and I couldn't keep track of both my stitches and Susan's fight with Doctor Ron), so I gave up and started the clutch that my aunt had requested. It's such a quick project that I'm almost finished already. And then maybe I'll start a sweater...

Come to think of it, it's a really good thing that I started that shawl more than two months before my SIL's wedding. I may need all the time I can get.

Yesterday's knitting adventure with the kids was almost mellow, if that's possible. Okay...maybe not mellow -- but at least it didn't drive me straight home to my liquor cabinet, so that's not bad. Miss H sent me a mysterious email on Sunday night, telling me that she wouldn't be able to make it, for reasons that she'd explain later -- and I must say, it was strange without her.

Little Taz, however, kept forgetting that Miss H wasn't going to be there, and she kept asking me, "When's Miss H going to get here?" Of course, she also asked, "When's Miss S going to get here?" -- when Miss S was sitting on the couch next to me...

I spent the early part of our session attempting to untangle Taz's ball of yarn. Last week, she'd been incapable of sitting, and as she wandered around the store with her knitting, she dragged her ball of yarn behind her (which, FYI, is not advisable). And, me being The Teacher and all, it's apparently my responsibility to fix things like that. So I did. But I let her know that if she got ants in her pants (a phrase that I would never actually use in front of the girls -- because I'd never hear the end of it) again, next time she'd be on her own. And Miss S decreed that from now on, if Taz must wander through the store, she is to keep her yarn in her bag. So be it.

Taz's bag, however, is coming along quite nicely. I've found that she knits much like she acts -- somewhat wild and out of control -- so felting is good for her. When it felts, all of the holes and inconsistencies will just disappear. For the first time this week, she could also tell that her knitted thing was going to be a bag. The sides of the bag are finally shaping up -- which had her shrieking "IT'S GROWING! IT'S GROWING!" about every five minutes.

Meanwhile, Miss S was working away on a gorgeous scarf for one of her teddy bears. She's quite a perfectionist, so her knitting is tight and even (which, I'll admit, is a lot like mine). In planning her next project, she's not sure whether to make a small rug for her Barbies or something with big yarn and big needles. I was relieved to hear that she's planning projects that she can easily do -- instead of some girls (not to name names or anything) who demand to do big projects that are a little bit out of their league -- and who then spend the next several weeks asking, "Am I done yet? ...How about now? ...How much more do I have to do? ...Can I just start something else?"

We were also joined this week by Miss M the Elder, who came a few weeks ago to learn with her little sister (Miss M the Younger). Miss M is fresh off spring break, during which she spent the week knitting with her grandma (who, I'm sure, is so very proud of her).

This week was also the store's monthly potluck, which meant that I got to hang out with the gang for a while before heading home. It's always great to be able to chat with the ladies -- even if it's only for a while. Many of them even got the privilege to meet Taz (AKA Miss A) in person. And, as if to prove the point that I've been making in my blog for all these weeks, upon introducing herself, she lifted up her bag and declared, "IT'S GROWING! IT'S GROWING!"

I rest my case.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes… I had the privilege of meeting Miss A at the monthly meeting last night.
Sweet little thing but wanted to know all about the socks I was making. She asked me if I liked making them - she thought they were ‘Cool’. I told her ‘NO’ (I’m sorry… that is a lie but I knew what was coming) and that I thought what SHE was making was MUCH, MUCH prettier! Her bag IS growing into a beautiful purse. Can’t wait to see it felted.
I can just see you teaching her sock making with DPN’s…. let’s give her a few projects before tackling that.

Wish you could have stayed longer….

12:09 PM

 
Blogger kdk said...

Beth -- Thanks so much for discouraging the sock thing. I owe you one.

BTW -- I checked eBay last night, and I couldn't find your fishy bag. What was it called again?

12:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been searching too for another bag but haven't located the same one. I did find (and bought) a new bag that is slightly larger and will arrive soon. (hopefully this week) It's from seller all_kinds_of_crafty. It's a Hand made fish purse/handbag I got for $9.99 + shipping. She emailed me and said she will be posting more on ebay in the near future if you're interested.

11:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did get the pink bag at the Merc which is just the right size for a ball of sock yarn.

1:15 PM

 
Blogger kdk said...

Beth -- the pink ones are really cute, but I love your fish bag because it's so different. So I'll keep checking back. If all else fails, maybe I can get my mom to make one for me...

1:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You better 'warn' you Mom... she may get 'requests' from a group of us! :)

She can use mine as a 'pattern' if you want.

3:21 PM

 
Blogger kdk said...

I may have to take some measurements to show her. Did you ever see the needle roll / accessories case that she made me? Brilliant. All I have to do is tell her what I need, and she can figure it out. Of course, now that I've got her knitting, I don't know if she'll have time for sewing anymore... ;)

3:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't see that but sounds nice. I received my 'new' fish bag yesterday. It is the cutest thing! It's much bigger than my original bag and it can hold several projects at a time. I'll bring it Friday to Knitwits if you want to see it. Well worth the $9.99 + shipping that I paid for it. :-)

9:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



List Sites in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring

This site in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
is owned by Pens and Needles.

[ Previous | Next | Random Site | List Sites | Join ]