A little bit of writing, a little bit of knitting...

Friday, April 14, 2006

All Buttoned Up

Last weekend, I brought Baby Sweater #1 along to Toronto, where our friends were awaiting their first child any minute. Unfortunately, that minute didn't happen while we were in town, so I left the sweater -- and the buttons -- behind. After they announced the birth of their little girl yesterday, my MIL sewed on the buttons. I have to admit I'm happy that they had a girl -- I really liked the flower buttons I picked out.

Here's Baby Hazel's finished sweater:


I took a few pictures of the orange sweater-in-progress yesterday -- but then I worked on it a bunch, and now the picture is totally out of date. I'll just have to take another one later.

It's coming right along -- I'd say it's almost down to my waist. I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping I have enough yarn. Like an idiot, I only estimated my yardage instead of doing the real math -- meaning that I ended up with just 10 yards more than the pattern calls for. Since I'm 5'10", I usually need to add a little length -- so Paul's already helping me come up with my back-up plans:

a) I can have the store ship me one more skein.
b) I can make the sleeve shorter than the pattern calls for.

I could also
c) Rip it out and make it just a tad bit more fitted. But I've decided that I'm past the point of no return. I'm not frogging.

I've just finished 2 skeins. Three to go. Considering where I am right now -- and the fact that the sleeves aren't full-length -- I'm cautiously optimistic.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lady Strathconn said...

That is such a cute sweater. I have only just learned to knit, so sweaters aren't in my immediate future, but love looking at them.

3:53 PM

 
Blogger kdk said...

Thanks LS! Actually, it's a really simple pattern. It was knit from the top down, which means no seams. Once you get the basics down, a top-down is no problem at all.

3:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The baby sweater is so cute! Where did you find the pattern?
I'd like to hear more about the store with all of the yarn.

6:18 PM

 
Blogger kdk said...

Thanks MM! It's the same pattern as the blue and purple sweater: Knitting Pure & Simple #982 (without the hood). And the store -- heavenly. It's the outlet store for Patons, Lily, Bernat, and some others. It's half store, half mega clearance outlet. It was about 2 hours out of the way on our drive to Toronto, but it was well worth it.

8:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the sweater! And I had a question about the Adamas Shawl. I am so wanting to knit it. I have the pattern, the yarn and needle. I have been knitting for a long time although this will be my first shawl and my first lace project. I feel silly asking this, but how the heck do you read the chart? I don't get it. I'm a fairly intelligent person and usually have no problems with charts (cables) but this one is tripping me up. The legend shows what each symbol represents, I get that. But what about all the gray area? Knit, purl? Like I said, I feel silly. I look at the chart and for the life of me can not "picture" what it's supposed to look like knitted up. I really appreciate any help you could offer (if you don't think I am a complete wacko!). You can email me directly at spengler5 at msn dot com. Thank you, thank you!

3:34 PM

 
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Cute sweater! Great buttons!

10:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote that you make the orange sweater body as long as you need and then see what's left. If the store doesn't have another skein, I think that it will be plenty cute with shorter sleeves.

9:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



List Sites in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring

This site in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
is owned by Pens and Needles.

[ Previous | Next | Random Site | List Sites | Join ]