A little bit of writing, a little bit of knitting...

Monday, May 01, 2006

How's About Dem Oranges?


Pattern: Knitting Pure and Simple Split Neck T (#257)
Yarn: Bernat Satin in Sunset

I finished weaving in the ends on my orange sweater last night as we waited for the second coat of orange paint to dry in our basement. I ended up making the sleeves shorter than the pattern suggested, but that made up for my questionable amount of yarn. And I actually like them this way.

Now I'm back to Adamas. That, and a top-down baby pullover from Cozy Knits for Cuddly Babies. It looks like I'll be seeing my friend and his new baby boy over Memorial Day, so my sweater deadline will come before my shawl deadline. But hey...it's a baby sweater. I'll knit it in my sleep...

As for the painting...in the past, I've done a good job of avoiding paint brushes. After all, after I moved out of my parents' place and until we bought this house, I lived in rentals. So other than the bathroom of our place in Massachusetts, which Paul painted yellow with a cool faux finish after we tore out the hideous gold 70s wallpaper, there was no painting. And after we bought this house, I tended to let Paul and my dad paint. So this was my first real room-painting experience. And, as it turns out, I don't really enjoy it all that much. In fact, by the time I'd finished taping the ceiling and the ledges, I was ready to hire someone to do the rest. And it pretty much went downhill from there. It doesn't help that I was born with seriously perfectionistic genes, which made things especially difficult. I'm sure no one will actually study every last inch of our basement walls, but I know where the little messes are, and I'm sure they'll drive me crazy for the rest of eternity. Or until someone fixes them.

Mark my words, it won't be long before I'm wandering around the basement with a container of orange paint and a toothpick.

But, goofs aside, I have to say that I love our obnoxious basement. Just for the record, we only did the top half of three of the walls in the room. The other wall, which doesn't have a ledge, is still eggshell -- and it now looks really bland. I'm thinking that it will be yellow soon. Or maybe a lighter shade of orange.

And now that it looks cool down there, we might even start using the basement again. Next on our basement plans: a futon for guests, a new TV, and some exercise equipment, thereby making it our guest/workout/family/knitting room.

And now...on to green. Today I'm wearing the only green shirt I own in honor of the new month. If only we'd waited just a little while longer to paint our bathroom green...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks SO cute!

11:08 AM

 
Blogger Lady Strathconn said...

Great job! You could almost get lost on the wall.

5:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your sweater is just beautiful!!!
I love the length of the sleeves too.
You did a wonderful job on it... can't wait to see you in it!

8:13 AM

 
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Your sweater looks great!!!!

someday I will try a top-down raglan... someday.

I'm exactly the same way you are about painting! noone may notice but I will know that drip/smudge/mess up is there and it will drive me crazy! I'm starting to get better at edging, though so it's not as bad as it was. Your basement looks wonderful in the picture, though! I really like the color... hmmm where can I use orange in my house... hmmmmmm....

10:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



List Sites in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring

This site in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
is owned by Pens and Needles.

[ Previous | Next | Random Site | List Sites | Join ]