A little bit of writing, a little bit of knitting...

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Knitterly Gifts and Lessons Learned

Yesterday was the last kids' knitting session of the year -- thus, we had our Christmas party. Or at least there were gifts. If I were organized, I would have brought cookies. Or cupcakes. But I didn't. I did, however, bring gifts. I got each of the girls a little package filled with those critical little things for knitters: a little book of patterns, a pen and a little notebook, mini scissors, stitch markers (handmade by Paul), and some little zipper pouches to keep them all in. All the little things kept the girls occupied for quite some time.

Here's what I got:


E and her grandmother brought the super-cool candy cane needles -- which I think I may have to break in very, very soon -- and the chocolate. There was more in that bag, but it's physically impossible to take a picture of chocolate without sampling some. And it is definitely tasty.

H made each of us our very own book of patterns. It doesn't show up the best in the picture, but I can't tell you how sweet that gift was. It's not every day that someone gives you a hand-made gift, made especially for you (unless, of course, you happen to be related to a knitter). It's sure to go in a place of honor on my knitting-bookshelf.

I absolutely love my girls. I actually look forward to Monday afternoons, thanks to them. Of course, I think Paul dreads Mondays because I'm always a little more giggly on Monday nights. The girls tend to give me a serious case of the giggles. I can't help it.

Anyway, girls, if you're reading this, thank you. You're awesome.

We also learned a few lessons yesterday:

1) Knitting needles can possibly inflict great pain. We had a little needle mishap yesterday. C was bending over, looking for one of her three needles that she's using for her scarf (yeah, I don't quite get the three-needle thing, either -- though I think it has something to do with losing one and buying a new pair) when one of them jumped up and bit her on the arm. I still have no idea what happened, but apparently, if given enough force, knitting needles can break right through the skin. It was all very strange, but it might be a good thing to keep in mind in the future. I was always taught that, when walking to your car in the dark, it's a good idea to keep your keys in your hand, positioned between your fingers -- just in case. But from now on, I think I may just keep a knitting needle handy. The straight, metal kind.

H also learned a few lessons. A couple of weeks ago, she started a hat from Hip Knit Hats. I told her that if she could finish the ribbed part (which was a little scary to begin with, since she just learned to purl a few weeks ago), I'd help her finish the top. So she brought it in this week, ready to finish. I talked her through each round, through the k2togs and p2togs. I even showed her how to knit in the round on two circs. And then, we sewed everything up, and here it is:



She was *so excited* -- and I was so proud of her for whipping out that hat in a couple of weeks. I think this may have been just what she needed to get her confidence back after that terrible poncho project, which took her about six months of agony. She learned some new things along the way, and she ended up with a super-cool hat (though H, who hates having her picture taken, told me that this picture makes her look like she's about to rob the store).

As for me, I'm still working away on the tote. I figure a good couple of days of knitting, and it should be done. More importantly, though, I'm starting to put together my travel knitting list. I'm going to do a hat from the Yarn Girls' latest book (review coming next week). I might even finish my socks. I need a scarf for myself, and I might do some felted clogs. After all, *everybody's* doing it. And I have a couple of shawl patterns in mind. Do you think that will keep me occupied for the next two weeks?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



List Sites in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring

This site in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
is owned by Pens and Needles.

[ Previous | Next | Random Site | List Sites | Join ]