A little bit of writing, a little bit of knitting...

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Swatching May Be Hazardous to Your Heath

I hate swatching. Always have, always will. I envy people like Julie, who love swatching. Julie can't get a skein of yarn in the mail without whipping out her needles right away. But I'm not like that. I hate swatching.

On my lunch break yesterday, in celebration of the facts that:
a) I called the body shop and got to the bottom of the lingering issues my car was having
b) I managed to finish a book review that I've been wrestling with since Friday

I decided to treat myself by swatching for my sweater. But here's the deal: the pattern calls for worsted weight -- with a gauge of 15 sts / 4" with US7 needles. That's less than 4 sts/inch on 7s! Am I the only one who's a bit baffled? I worked up my worsted weight swatch and got about 18 sts on US8s. And I think it would be too loose if I went up to 9s. I just looked up another project that I recently did in heavy worsted, and I found that my gauge was maybe 16 sts on US9s. I realize that I knit a little tight -- but not that tight. I'm so confused.

Swatch = Ppppbt.



Meanwhile, it just occurred to me that I need to pick out another new project today. Tonight, Julie and I are going to watch the Blue Jackets beat the Kings. And I need to have some good brainless knitting to bring with me. (Okay -- I'll admit it. I usually get too caught up in the game to knit anyway, but I've got to bring some along anyway -- at least for intermissions.) I'd bring The Mystery Project, but it's too big and clumsy. Besides, I'm about to move on to the next step in the design -- the step that's going to take a little thought. But here she is right now:



Any guesses? (No, it's not a tire cover.)

7 Comments:

Blogger Sourire11 said...

I'm gonna guess that's either a tubey or a tempting on your needles.... am I even close?

1:18 PM

 
Blogger kdk said...

I'll give you half credit for guessing it's a garment. :) One of the girls on Monday guessed that it was a skirt -- then, upon noticing the size, grumbled something about "big hips." I love my girls. Anyway...it's not Tubey or Tempting (both of which, however, are on my to-knit-sometime list -- so it's a good guess). Or a skirt. BTW, I see the you chose a Tempting II in Fixation for your Olympic project. Very, very cool. I can't wait to see how it turns out in Fixation!

1:53 PM

 
Blogger kdk said...

Amen, Sister Ashley! When it comes to sweaters, I see it as a necessary evil -- gotta do it for size, no matter how much I hate it. I do, however, rip out the swatch and reuse the yarn. :)

4:28 PM

 
Blogger Ashley said...

I hate swatching with a passion... I see it as a waste of yarn and time... especially when it comes to scarves and afgahns.

4:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, girls, swatching is a pleasure! How else do you get to know your yarn? What if the yarn wants to be something other than what you've planned? It tells you when you knit with it. Give the swatching a chance. Feel the yarny goodness. :o)

9:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I HATE swatching more than you. I actually did a swatch for the sweater I'm knitting. Everything was on guage, I checked every few inches, perfect, and the darn thing is too small. I am plodding along and did not throw the project down the basement stairs. (A first for me.) I'm sticking to my socks, no swatching. The Sock Princess

10:09 AM

 
Blogger kdk said...

Okay. First of all, Julie, I have one word for you and your swatches: Ppppbt! And SP - I'm amazed at the restraint you showed by not tossing your sweater down the stairs. I can't say that I would have shown that kind of restraint. ;)

10:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



List Sites in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring

This site in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
is owned by Pens and Needles.

[ Previous | Next | Random Site | List Sites | Join ]