A little bit of writing, a little bit of knitting...

Monday, January 23, 2006

It's School Spirit Week!

Last weekend's big alumni event, at which I watched my alma mater's basketball team get flogged by their arch rivals, got me back in the school spirit. It's been an age since I graduated from college (we'll not think about how long...), but I really felt like a loser at the event, since I didn't have a single item in my school's colors. So upon leaving, I vowed to have two knitted items in school colors finished in time for next year's game.

I started on the first one this weekend, while I was waiting for the gang to show up on Saturday morning:



(Have I ever mentioned how much I love shadow knitting?)

It's a pattern that Paul helped me create -- and though I'm also dying to get started on the fish-pattern scarf that Paul also designed, I jumped on this one first. When it's done, it'll say "GO KNIGHTS!" It's going really quickly -- I'm already finished with the first page of the chart.

The second project is a felted clutch, which will also be in maroon and gold (ugh...there's a reason why I don't have much in school colors).

Since I missed out on National De-Lurking Week, I'm going to make this week Pens and Needles De-Lurking Week -- and I'm going to combine it with School Spirit Week. From everyone who comments on the blog this week (all you have to do is say hi -- or tell us your school's colors), I'll choose one commenter to get a free copy of the felted clutch pattern.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The local college colours are the same as yours...but we're the Mavericks.
The scarf looks great...I had a hard enough time knitting just a plain garter stitch scarf...I'm back to crocheting for now!

11:12 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well aren't you clever! I've never seen shadow knitting before! Your scarf looks really great.

Thanks for the comment BTW. And sorry you were subjected to Elvis birthday cakes in bulk! =)
Your comment cracked me up!

Oh, I almost forgot... Blue and Gold

11:16 AM

 
Blogger kdk said...

Thanks, Lil! Thanks! I've been totally hooked on shadow knitting ever since I did the Alien Scarf from Stitch 'n' Bitch for my brother-in-law for Christmas (here's a picture: http://pensandneedles.blogspot.com/2005/11/another-weekend-another-fo.html). I love that it looks so complicated and impressive -- but it's so ridiculously easy!

And yes...my husband is painfully addicted to the Food Network. It's a good thing I can just sit there peacefully and focus on my knitting... ;) (Gorgeous blog, BTW!)

And Kat...I'm impressed by anyone who can pull of crocheting. I've tried, and I just can't seem to get the hang of all the single-crochets and half-double crochets...

11:27 AM

 
Blogger Ashley said...

Very pretty scarf. I've been meaning to make one exactly like it, except with my schools name on it. I haven't gotten around to it yet, because everytime I go to the store maroon and gold yarn is hard to come by. That and I haven't had time to drive out to the middle of nowhere where my favorite local yarn shop is located.

12:18 PM

 
Blogger kdk said...

Ashley -- that's what the Internet is for! Get thee to KnitPicks.com!

2:21 PM

 
Blogger Jay said...

Ooh... I'm shuddering with pleasure just looking at that marvelous example of shadow knitting. Can't wait to see the finished result.
Is that the same technique used in the Alien Scarf in the 'Stitch N Bitch' book, 'cause I'm just dying to try that!?

6:23 PM

 
Blogger kdk said...

Jay - it is, in fact, just like the Alien Scarf. That's the project that started my obsession with shadow knitting. Check it out here. I'd wanted to try it for a long time, but I thought it looked really complicated. Actually, it's so easy, it'll make your head spin.

7:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm de-lurking!

Love the scarf. I'm planning on tackling some shadow knitting soon - I've just go to think about what my shadow will reveal!

11:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



List Sites in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring

This site in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
is owned by Pens and Needles.

[ Previous | Next | Random Site | List Sites | Join ]