A little bit of writing, a little bit of knitting...

Monday, October 23, 2006

Finish What You Started

If there's one thing I hate, it's finishing. I hate it. That's one of the big reasons why I knit top-down sweaters (that and the fact that I'm 5'10", and it's nice to try things on as I go). It's also why I'm doomed to spend the rest of my life surrounded by fully-knitted dishcloths that just need to have their ends woven in.

This weekend, however, I decided to do some finishing.

I started with the baby sweaters. My friends have been poppin' 'em out lately, and I've been procrastinating on putting the finishing touches on the baby sweaters. I went running out to find buttons (because button-shopping is fun) right away -- but it took a while to get to sewing them on. I figured, though, that I'd better finish them and send them out before the babies' first birthdays.

First was Simon Lewis, born to my friend Mark and his wife, Jane, back home in Michigan. He gets the one on the left -- the one with the little blue puppy buttons. Two days later came Emily Anne-Marie, born to Jay and Lisa in Toronto. Emily gets the sweater on the right.

After a button-sewing session on Saturday, they're done -- and ready to be shipped out to the new little ones.


Then, while I was at it, I figured I'd finish that baby blanket that had been sitting around on the floor (the one that Paul told me needed to be moved). I wove in the ends, folded it up, and put it in the closet, to wait for the next of the babies. The picture is horrible -- so horrible, in fact, that Blogger won't let me upload it. So you'll just have to take my word for it that's done. It's square, and it's periwinkle (don't you love that word?), and it's done.

And, finally, I finished The Pillow. In the beginning, I spent a ton of time putting off making the pillow. But then, after Paul hinted a few times that it would be nice to have another pillow to go with the one I'd already made, I got started. Then we decided that the fur I was using just wasn't right, so I ripped it out and started it again. And then...finally...I finished knitting it. In a weekend. And then I let it sit on the living room floor for a month or two because I really didn't feel like sewing it together.

But I finally sucked it up and did it. Aren't you proud of me? I know I am. And so is Paul, who finally has his second pillow (it's the one on the right, joining the one I made, um, over a year ago).



So I finished four projects this weekend. Yea for me!

Yesterday, I was kicking it old school with the girlies. None of the current regulars were there, but Monday saw the return of the Fabulous Miss C, as well as the mysterious Miss H (who showed up an hour and a half late for our two-hour group, incidentally). It was wonderful to hang with the girls again. I'm hoping they'll all be back next week, and we'll have a nice big, happy group.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

the fo's look great - good job for finally finishing them...such a good feeling, isn't it? : )

2:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh oh, should I fear finishing if you hate it that much?

You really need to get those babies together wearing their sweaters. Very nice work on those and the pillow.

2:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ihate finishing too. Don't mind it too much once I start - it got better once I learned mattress stitch too, but it's the starting of the finishing that I don't like. If that makes sense.

Lovely finished sweaters, and the cushion too.

5:36 AM

 
Blogger Sourire11 said...

"I'm doomed to spend the rest of my life surrounded by fully-knitted dishcloths that just need to have their ends woven in."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I have the same problem! I knit a whole bunch of those mason dixon washrags but never tucked in the what... 2 ends they require? That and then there's the Christmas knitting... I know that this year will be like last year and I will be frantically tucking in ends right before I wrap them...

Good for you for finishing things!

8:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Cute baby sweaters!

9:59 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



List Sites in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring

This site in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
is owned by Pens and Needles.

[ Previous | Next | Random Site | List Sites | Join ]